Friday, July 23, 2010

For a while now, I’ve been thinking about writing a blog. I am not sure why, but it must involve my desire to write. I haven’t been writing much in the last couple of years and, recently, something within have been pressing; “write!” So I am going to write. I don’t have a plan, and I’m not sure what is there to write about. Be warned; my writing may involve some dwelling as I wallow in my recent past- specifically, my experience with breast cancer.

I decided to call my blog “The Joys of Cancer,” to remind myself of all that I’ve learned from my experiences in the last three years. Don’t misunderstand me. Having cancer is no picnic, but it puts things in perspective, and at least for me, it’s been an insightful ride.

My life will never be the same, and though at times I’m sick of it, I think about cancer every day. Not necessarily as a disease, but as an entity that helped shape me (physically and otherwise). I think about it as a lump because of which I became who I am, and in light of what I’ll become.

Though I love writing, sharing my private thoughts is excruciatingly difficult for me (almost as difficult as spelling excruciatingly…). Those who know me well may arch an eyebrow at the previous sentence as you know me to have opinions about everything. Yes. I do! But exposing myself through writing may be a difficult task. We’ll see where it’s going to take me. Consider yourselves my therapists! One thing I had to do while fighting cancer was taking risks and be brave. So here I am; I’m being brave!

Keep reading and, who knows, you may get a glimpse into my (very) ordinary life!

No comments:

Post a Comment